A super-simple but super-delicious recipe. After four hours in the oven, the lamb will be meltingly tender and packed with flavour.
How long will it take?
4 hours 10 minutes
What’s the serving size?
What do I need?
- 4 rosemary sprigs, leaves removed
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp capers , finely chopped
- 3 anchovy fillets in oil, drained and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 whole lemons
- 1½ kg shoulder of lamb, on the bone
- 2 red onions, cut into wedges
- small glass white wine
- Heat oven to 160C.
- Finely chop the rosemary, then mix with the garlic, capers, anchovies, olive oil and zest and juice of 1 lemon, reserving the used lemon halves.
- Make 3-4 slashes across the top of the shoulder, then rub the rosemary mixture all over the lamb.
- Scatter the onion into the base of a large roasting pan.
- Cut the remaining lemon in half, squeeze the juices into the tin, and place all the used lemon halves in the pan with the onions.
- Place the lamb on top of the onions and lemon and roast for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, pour in the wine and roast for a further 3 hrs until the meat is really tender.
- Leave to rest for 15 mins then serve, pulled into chunks rather than carved, with any pan juices.